Giving More than Taking...

So far I had seen people who take more than they give or atleast try to keep the balance. In the companies they work that is. But today I found a person who gave more than they took apparently.


I have been assigned to a project that was previously being worked on by Amna and Akasha. The manager told me that we're behind on this project so we need a boost. So they assigned it to me. Also, one of the developers has left the company. And I, to be honest, didn't really like her very much.


So, at first, there was a mess that I had to figure out, and it took me some time. I needed some background knowledge. But anyway, I fixed the stuck problem atlast. Took me a week though, and I had to read a lot of code.


There is one mysterious thing that these developers were doing. They would take development code as the starting point, would develop on that code, and then after the development is done would update the development code but there's a master code that works on the production.


The developers were updating the development code, but the master code was cherry-picked from the development code. This would take extra time and it was extremely brain-teasing to me. Why on earth do you take such a difficult path!


As the project was lead by Amna who has already left, all the developers had to say was, "we don't know we just do it this way, we guess that's how we should do it!"... aah... no guys that's not how you should do it, just test the development code and if it's good move it to the master repository, it is as simple as that...


But today while I was working on a task, which is like 3 months old when Amna was here. I found out that that task was already done. The problem they were facing was apparently the one I have already fixed and the rest is already working. So I was surprised. They completed the task and I have nothing left to do on this task apparently. It's ready to go. The time it had required is already taken and now we just deliver the task and the client would have to pay.


Though Amna is not here anymore, she had already arranged for upcoming stuff, making money for the company in advance. So, I really appreciate what she had done and I was surprised and happy to see that such people exist. And on the other hand it's me who try to keep the balance :P


And I also found out the reason behind that mysterious way of merging the code. It was to make sure that the things we do are kept hidden until it is perfect time to release them, 


I don't know my co-workers would read my blog post or not, but I have no intention to tell them at the moment the reason behind that mysterious code-merge technique...


Comments

Unknown said…
I really thank you for the appreciation. That means a lot for me.
Amna, as you mentioned, no doubt was a very good organizer and lead. We all learnt alot from her. I, though, was given more opportunity to learn from her and I really miss her mentoring.
I could not work much with you as my project changed but that is a good thing you took a time to write this amazing blog. The project will end, the blog will stay as a memory.
The code-merge technique, Ah, it is really mysterious xD. You are right we do it to hide some features until they get paid. At that time, in the urgency, we had to go for this one but I am sure there would be a better and easier approach.

Popular posts from this blog

Qadyani - The False Prophet/Imam

The Trinity

I'm Abusing "So" So Much